Inova’s Facebook page recently ran the following bit of information:
Snapple Facts #828: Every hour more than 1 billion cells in the body must be replaced.
This self-named “Lunch Bunch” have quizzes, discussions and much merriment with these caps. One person will read the fact aloud, leaving out a critical detail. Everyone then guess the answer. For instance, “A hippo can hold his breath under water for (take a guess on how many) seconds.”
Over the years, the caps from these lunches have been collected into a vase, which is referred to as The Vase of Knowledge, and is stored in Bob Lazaro’s office in Community Affairs. There are no repeats in this vase – each cap is unique. I know, what about the hippo? I’ll save you the trip over to Bob’s and tell you the answer; a hippo can hold it’s breath for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Here are a few more interesting medical fun facts:
- The brain is way more active at night than it is during the day.
- Sneezes often exceed 100 mph.
- Your hearing is not as sharp after eating too much.
- It only takes 17 muscles to smile and a whopping 43 muscles to frown.
- The brain uses about the same amount of juice as does a 10-watt light bulb.
- We are approximately 1 cm taller in the morning than in the evening.
- 32 million bacteria, give or take a few, live on your skin.
- Type O is the most common blood type.
- There is only one part of the body that can’t repair itself – the tooth.
Sometimes it’s these little things that help us find comfort and joy here at work. What little rituals do you have with your colleagues, to help pull your teams together?